Friday, February 28, 2014

Book Review: Bishop Street by Rene D. Schultz


Released: June 23, 2013
Pages: 305


Four orphaned children living in The Bishop Street orphanage, all brought there by their own sad stories, form a bond that is forever standing.

Randalph, Maggie, Elizabeth and Lucy form a "forever friendship" a bond stronger than any other after becoming friends in a sad and unloving environment. 


Sister Theresa is an unloved, dark and unloving person that torments them and lashes out as these four children trying to grow up in this orphanage, waiting for a family to call them their own. I think because its hits home for me, having two adopted children of my own,I feel the pain of loss that these four do.

I was in tears chapter after chapter, eagerly reading to find out "their" story.
Maggie, a successful author, one day decides to find her three friends, and after a long road they come together in joy and hope, for a future based on family and love.  
I love the part when author Rene D. Schultz say " We are all Gods children, and although we make our own choices, we can be called back into a place of love" (Well that how I understood it), this was incredibly emotional for me as I truly believe we are products of our own choices, yet He brings us back into the shelter of His arms.

If I could give this book a ten star I would, but sadly I will have to settle on five...
A must read ... I will say it again.... A MUST READ!!!!!!!!

Review By Jacqui


“Bishop Street” is a heartwarming and redemptive novel that captures the complex relationships between four orphans and their lifetime of challenges. It’s uplifting and with each turn of the page you fall more in love with the characters. 

Margaret Gray for the past twenty years has hidden behind a facade of normalcy. She wasn't always rich and famous. At the age of seven her mother abandons her on the steps of the Bishop Street Orphanage with a note pinned to her coat. Here, under the cruel tutelage of Sister Theresa, Maggie develops a powerful bond with her roommates, Elizabeth, Lucy and Randolph. Their close friendship fortifies them against the years of physical abuse, emotional torment, and manipulation that follow. 

Now, Maggie is thirty-nine and her nightmares are coming back. Despite a successful writing career and a flawless reputation, she is unable to keep all that she has built from crumbling around her. It’s been twenty years since she’s heard from her friends. Why didn't they answer her letters? Had they survived? Had Sister Theresa been right, or had she manipulated them all with lies, aiming to destroy their friendship, forever? 

Sister Theresa is dead and with nothing left to fear, Maggie hires Damon Depre, a private investigator to find her friends, and seek the truth. This starts her down a twisted path that will once again, test her strength of character. Will she find more than just her friends...


I’m divorced and I live in a small community just north of Los Angeles where I raised my two sons. I love to garden, try new recipes, take lots of pictures, and occasionally I enjoy a glass of wine with dear friends. I've never jumped out of a plane, climbed Mt. Everest, or seen the Northern Lights of Alaska. But, I have danced in the rain, sent a message in a bottle, and I've rode my motorcycle down The Pacific Coast Highway on sunny California days!

After my divorce, I waltzed into the world of online dating. I didn't find my knight-in-shining armor, but instead in 2008, I wrote a very successful book on my entertaining experiences. My first book “Searching4MrRight.com” was published by a small press and you can find it on Amazon.

My first fiction novel “Bishop Street” is coming out July 2013. This story is about four powerful friendships that begin at Bishop Street Orphanage. It continues with lies and deceit after they leave at eighteen. Then, twenty years later, redemption plays out and ultimately the strength that got them through their childhood becomes the catalyst that binds them back together.
My passion of writing has lead me on the most amazing journey. Now, my focus is on fiction. I thrive on developing strong storylines that showcase today’s contemporary lifestyles. Rags to riches, Robinhood, and surviving the odds, seems to be my one common denominator that showcases my fascinating and diverse characters.


No comments:

Post a Comment