Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Book Review: Broken By Kelly Elliott



291 Pages
Published November 19th, 2013

When you meet a man, fall in love and move away with him you think Love is grand. He is perfect and one day you will marry him. Then you look back and realize that nothing is as it seems. He becomes obsessive, possessive and aggressive. He is not the man you loved. The first moment he lays a hand on you, you make excuses: it was wan accident, he was upset, I pissed him off. He always apologizes afterwards and you forgive him. You begin to separate yourself from your family and friends until the only person you havei in your life is him. Then.....it happens again, and again. There comes a point in your life where you realize that you just cant do it anymore. Unfortunately that point comes when he does his most damage. 


Whitely and Roger were in love. He was moving to New York to work at his fathers company. She went along to NY with aspirations of learning all about party planning. Besides, New York City is the best place to start. She packed up her things in Rhinebeck NY and moved to the big city. Life was perfect.......in the beginning. Things drastically changed in Rogers attitude and behaivor towards her. The last time she saw him in NY was when she thought she was going to die and wound up in the hospital. 

Layton was a country boy who had it rough to say the least. His mother passed away from a rough battle with breast cancer, leaving Layton and his brother Mike alone with his father. Their father left them not to long after her death, leaving two young boys to tend for themselves. Dad was big into racehorses, and left to go make more money. He said he was coming back, but never did. He would send them money. They two young boys were left in a house that looked great from the outside but that's all it was. It was nothing but a shell, no running water, no heat and no air conditioner. They did what they could so they did not land in foster care. They hunted for their food and cooked it on a hot plate. After another tragedy his Layton, his heart is left Broken. 

This is an epic story about two amazing people who were so Broken. They have endured more pain than anyone should have to deal with. Will their pasts prevent them from what could be an amazing future? 

I laughed and cried and you will to. This book touched my heart in so many ways!!

Description:
Layton Morris and his brother Mike grew up not knowing what it would be like to live in a normal home. With no running water or electricity in their home, no parents around to protect them, they quickly learned how to survive and depend only on each other.

When a tragic accident takes Mike away from Layton, and the only other person that he ever let into his heart walked away from him, leaving his heart shattered, Layton focuses all of his time and energy into the ranch he and his brother dreamed of. He makes a vow to himself to never let love in again. The last thing Layton needed or wanted was more heartache.

Whitley Reynolds grew up in a privileged home in upstate New York. When she landed the star football player in high school no one was surprised, not even Whitley. She dreamed of a life with Roger living in New York City and happily followed him there. 

The first time Roger hit her for arguing with him about a dinner party, she forgave him. The more it happened, the further Whitley withdrew from her friends and family. One fateful day things go to far. Whitley makes a promise to herself and finds the courage to do the one thing she thought she’d never be able to do.

Fleeing with her best friend Courtney, Whitley was determined to put her past behind her and start a new life in the small town of Llano, Texas, where no one would ever find out about her past.

Will they both ever learn to trust and love again, or will their pasts come back to haunt them, keeping them both alone and…

Broken.




My favorite Quotes:

Get dressed, bitch. We're busting you out of New York City and heading to Texas!

You see, I've been exactly where you are right now-feeling so broken, like there is no way out. But there is. There are people who can help you if you would just let them.

No, cowboy. I like standing on the side of the road in Texas in the middle of July, yelling at my piece of shit car. I get a kick out of it.

Well, Whitley, I'm twenty five years old, and it's a Southern thing to address a lady as ma'am. If you want a ride up to my house, you'll have to get off your damn high-society horse and realize you're out in the middle of the goddamn country.

To leaving behind the past and starting a new life. To forgetting about asshole men who don't know a good thing when they see it.

Damn that girl is cute as a button. She's the only girl who has ever driven me insane with anger and lust at the same time.

The way he called me honey, cowgirl and sweetheart made me feel so special. No one had ever called me things like that, except for my dad.



When you first met me, Whitley, I was so damaged. I had a broken heart that was still bleeding. When I look into your eyes...I feel...like my heart is healing.

I want to get to know every inch of your body. I want to make nothing but memories with you. Every day. Every minute. Every second.

You want me to, what, Whitley? Love you? Because I've loved you since the moment since I saw you standing next to your car, since the moment your beautiful green eyes looked into mine. The moment I heard your sweet voice talk to me, I knew deep down inside that I would love you forever.

The moment she touched me, I felt electricity move through my body.

Take care of my little girl, She's my whole world.

Without your love, Layton, I don't know how I could live. You're not only the love of my life, but you're also my best friend.

I wasn't sure how long I lay there, watching her sleep. No longer did I feel lost and alone. I didn't feel angry or hurt. I was no longer Broken. I had been healed by the love of the girl in my arms.





Connect With Kelly Elliott:




No comments:

Post a Comment