Thursday, July 17, 2014

Featured Author: Dawn Kopman Whidden Interview Part 1


Dawn Kopman Whidden is a native New Yorker and successful author who grew up in the close-knit community of Little Neck Douglaston during the baby boomer era. She graduated from Queensboro Community College.

Twenty years ago, she traded in her days of living in the bustling city for a more serene and tranquil life on a small farm in the town of Bell, located in North Central Florida.

She is retired and shares her life and love with her husband of fourteen years and an adopted stray dog she named Casey. She has also been blessed with two beautiful grandchildren.

Interview:

How did you come up for the concepts for A Child is Torn and Faceless?

Actually A CHILD IS TORN was a conceived from a nightmare I had one night. I woke up at 3 o’clock in the morning and told myself that I needed to immediately write down the scene I had just visualized in my sleep. I have said many times before the dream I had awoken from would make a good movie or novel, but I never wrote it down immediately and then would forget it.
I didn’t want to lose this one, so I opened my laptop and began to write. I wrote almost compulsively for 3 months.
Faceless literally came out of no-where. Same with STOLEN, it was just a vision that popped into my mind.

Without giving away any spoilers, for those who have not read A Child is Torn and Faceless, what was your favorite scene to write?

I think my favorite scenes in both novels were the scenes that brought tears to my own eyes. Even when I would reread, knowing the outcome it would bring a tear or two to my eye.

Describe a typical day when you are writing. Do you have any pre-writing rituals?

I’m not a very ritualistic person. I never was good with routines. My day is never the same. One day I will do the laundry in the morning, cook and clean, the next day I may just watch T.V or play Candy Crush all day.  My husband can’t understand how I get things done, but the house is always clean, food is cooked and the laundry done.
I sometimes would get an idea and would write in the bathtub. Often I woke up in the middle of the night and write a few chapters. My life is harem scarem, but organized at the same time.

Do you have any plans for a book signing event?

I have book signings in my town and donate the profits to GRACE MINISTRY a thrift store that helps in the rehabilitation of men and women with a substance abuse problem.

Can you give us an idea of what to expect in your next book?

STOLEN is scheduled to be released this summer. It’s the story that revolves around a mysterious little boy who is found at the scene of a murder. He is unable to communicate verbally, and the detectives Whitley and Kael are stumped. They do not know where he came from or if he has been so traumatized it has caused his silence.

What came first, the characters or the concept for the story?
My main characters are carry over’s from my other two novels. Although the characters appear in all three novels, they are independent stories. You can read one with out the other, but I would hope the reader becomes as invested in them as much as I am.
If A Child is Torn and Faceless became a movie, who would your dream cast be?

That is something I often think about. First of all there is no question in my mind that WHOOPIE GOLDBERG would be perfect for Judy the head administrator at ARMISTACE HOSPITAL FOR EMOTIONALLY DISTURBED ( and very troubled and dangerous children)

I haven’t really found someone I would think would make a good Hope, maybe the girl who plays Sam on General Hospital. There is a show on the air now called MOTIVE, the lead actress I can see as my lead detective Jean Whitely. The redheaded fireman on Chicago Fire, would fit the bill as Justin. Daniel Goddard from the Young and the Restless first choice for Marty.


Do you ever read the reviews about your books? If so, do you pay attention to any negative reviews or let them influence your writing?

I definitely pay close attention to all my reviews, especially the critical ones. So far I have been extremely lucky and only received on 2 Star review and that person said they wanted to give it 2 ½ stars. I take all criticism in to account and try and learn from them all. I want to be a better writer and no one has a better right to tell the author what they need or want then the person who paid good money to purchase the book.

Do you have a favorite author?

I have a lot of favorite authors and I guess you can say I change my mind a lot. I love Stieg Larsson author of the GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO, and was devastated when I heard he had passed on. I love Ken Follett, I think he’s a genius. Nora Roberts, Patterson, there are so many, too numerous to list.

What are your favorite top 3 books that you would recommend?

I WOULD DEFINITELY TELL MYSTERY READERS to pick up THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATOO SERIES..
FOR THOSE who love a good historical novel, Ken Follet’s trilogy which starts with FALL OF GIANTS. ( which I am looking forward to his third of the series) OR OF COURSE..A CHILD IS TORN, FACELESS AND STOLEN!!

What book, if any, are you reading now?

I am reading DIVERGENT

Do you prefer to read traditional books or e-books?

I would prefer PAPERBACKS or Hard backs, but I will read anything!!


Out of the books that you have read, which character couple would you like to invite over for dinner and why?

I think I would love to have JD.ROBB’S Roarke and Eve.. She’s an awesome character and he is just plain a hunk! 

What was the last thing you googled?

I google all the time, but for my book, I did google some information about firearms. I try to make my story line as realistic as possible.

If you could describe yourself in 5 words what would they be?

I hope these words would be used to describe me by others as well

Curious,
Loyal,
Empathetic
Cautious
Honest

What is your biggest pet peeve?

Negative attitudes.

Where can your fans find you?

I am all over the place on the internet.. Just type in my name DAWN KOPMAN WHIDDEN and take your pick! Facebook is where most of my activity can be found, or my website










No comments:

Post a Comment