Friday, October 11, 2013

Featured Author Friday featuring Janice Baker - Promises, Promises


Author bio from goodreads.com:
Janice Baker likes to eat off fine china from the most expensive restaurants, wear the most expensive designer labels and drive the most luxurious cars. Just kidding! I am really your typical mom with two amazing daughters and a fabulous husband. Although I love my family very much, I really enjoy escaping to a fulfilled fantasy world I can create in my mind. Get away with me into my books and enjoy some time away from reality





Before we start, I would like to say that I loved reading Promises, Promises! I love a book filled with seduction, friendship, dominance, passion and love!! I cannot wait until the next book comes out!!!!

Can you describe Promises, Promises in 20 words? 
Desperately searching for love, Izzy escapes a man who abused her trust. Meeting Z, she overcomes her past, finding love.
How did you come up with the idea for Promises, Promises?
I read so many amazing books about BDSM relationships and I constantly wondered if there was possibly one guy out there who claimed to be a “Dom,” but was really just a jerk. I thought about what the submissive would be like if she wanted to leave her situation. 
And no, I’m not against BDSM relationships, if they’re between two consulting adults. I just wondered, like with any relationship, if something like this could have happened. 
Without giving away any spoilers, for those who have not read Promises, Promises, what was your favorite scene to write? 
That’s tough because I have several, but I would have to say my favorite overall is the ocean/thunderstorm scene. I actually woke and typed the scene with my eyes closed at 4am. Fun Fact: I actually wrote that scene from Z’s perspective. When I went to add the scene, I realized it was actually Izzy’s Chapter. I really tried several ways to leave the scene in Z’s perspective, but it just didn’t seem to flow. I went through and changed it to Izzy’s and wound up loving it even more!
Describe a typical day when you are writing. Do you have any pre-writing rituals? 
Nothing really comes to mind. Writing depends on my mood or time of day. I actually write most of my ideas or some key scenes when I first wake or sometimes they even wake me! I also have many new ideas when I’m driving or in the car line for school. When I “schedule” my writing time, it’s usually right after I drop the kids off at school or after they go to bed. I try to get them to bed early! 
Do you have any plans for a book signing event?
I currently do not have any book signings scheduled, but I am trying for Wicked Book Weekend, Book Bash or Naughty Mafia in 2014. I loved Book Bash when I attended as a reader. *raises hand high in the air* Fan Girl right here! I had a blast meeting all my favorite authors! I cannot wait to meet some of my readers one day!
Will there be a sequel? if so can you give us an idea of what to expect?
Yes, well, sort of. There will be a companion novel for Matt. Izzy and Z and all your favorite characters will still appear and their stories will weave in and out, but it will be Matt and Vanessa’s love story. 
I honestly had not expected to write one though. Promises, Promises was written as a standalone, but I had so many readers write to me asking for the other characters’ stories and the wheels started turning! 
Is there another book project that you are working on? Can you tell us a bit about it?
I do have another WIP (work in progress). I started writing it while Promises, Promises was being edited. I’m thrilled with it actually and cannot wait to share Jordan and Justin’s story. Snippet to come soon!
What came first, the characters or the concept for the story? 
The concept for the story actually came first for Promises, Promises. Izzy’s character and her situation stemmed from the actually concept/storyline. I had a lot of fun going outside of the norm. 
If Promises, Promises became a movie, who would your dream cast be?
Hmm, really a tough question! It’s tough because I never really “see” a whole face when I write about a character. It’s more the feeling I get from each one. Take Z for instance. If I had to pick an actor, it would be a young Brad Pitt, but more for his facial expressions in some of his earlier movies. Spy Game is one of my favorites, but more so because the way he smirks or gives that playful smile when his eyes light up. His lips. Dear God, his lips, right after he licks them! *fanning myself* I guess if I were to pick more from just “looks” of the image or the inspiration would be: 
Z: Young Brad Pitt
Izzy: Katheryn Winnick or Charlize Theron
Mel: Cameron Diaz or Kate Hudson
Flynn: Bradley Cooper or Patrick Dempsey
Clark: Ryan Reynolds (I’m thinking he could deliver Clark’s lines really well!)
Him: Ryan Merriman
Do you ever read the reviews about your books? If so, do you pay attention to any negative reviews or let them influence your writing?
Whew! Yes, I actually do. I read all of them. Every single one. The good and the bad. When I read a negative review, I look for constructive criticism that might be able to help my future writing. I can’t please everyone, but if I did something that really irked several readers, I know that is something that can help me become a better writer. 
Do you have a favorite author?
Many! Again – very tough question. Umm, if I had to choose - I would have to say Sylvia Day. I met her at Book Bash. It was the end of the day and she just arrived from her tour in Australia and New Zealand late the previous evening. She had a HUGE blister on her finger from signing so many books. She was smiling and told me how much she loves to meet her readers, regardless of her blister. Not only does she write amazing books, she’s also a fabulous person. 
What are your favorite top 3 books that you would recommend?
Wow! You might as well ask me if I have a favorite child! Argh! Umm, ok. Well, I’d have to say Fifty Shades of Grey, Bared to You and Hunger Games.
What book, if any, are you reading now?
Well, I’m not supposed to be reading right now, I’m supposed to be writing. However, Olivia Cunning’s latest book just came out – Tell Me and I “might” be flipping through it “not reading!”
Do you prefer to read traditional books or e-books?
I LOVE my kindle app! I can read in the middle of the night if I want (which happens a LOT). I can read the books I love with the naughty covers in public and no one knows how dirty I can be! That being said, I do have to say I also LOVE my paperback books. It’s a toss-up between a brand new book with fresh pages (love that new book smell!) or a well-worn loved book. I guess I didn’t really answer the question! I prefer both, would have to be my “final” answer.
Out of the books that you have read, which character couple would you like to invite over for dinner and why?
*Evil Laugh* Probably, Kellan Kyle and Kierra. I would probably feel horrible because I would drool all over KK. 
If you could work with any author, who would it be?
K.A Linde. I would love to get inside her mind and figure out how she writes such great angst! I love her Avoiding series. Do you see why I couldn’t just pick 3 books to recommend? Can I also add the Avoiding series in there too?
What inspired you to start writing?
I’ve always had these characters in my head. I’ve had scenes play out, but never thought to write any down.  I would tell my husband about what I was thinking and I would go on and on about it. He probably is relieved that I’m not insane with these people running around in my head. One night he asked why I didn’t just go into the office, start typing and try to write a book. I thought he was crazy, but then when I told my best friend about it the next day, she told me to just try it out and see. I sent her 3 chapters and waited on pins and needles before she finally came back to me saying she wanted more! I was hooked after that!
Do you have any advice for aspiring authors?
While researching how to self-publish, my husband and I read that you should have 2-3 books lined up and ready to go before you release your first one. I wish I had followed that advice, but I was so anxious to get Promises, Promises out there! I have several that are close to being done, but when everyone loved Promises, Promises and asked for more, I jumped at writing the companion. Hindsight is always 20/20. 
What are you top 5 most important things in your life?
My children, my husband, friends, health and love
Do you have any tattoos or piercings?
I do. Sunshine for happiness on my right backside. It’s small. And I did it with a friend when I was 26. 
Do you have any fears?
Horror movies. I hate to be “scared.” Unfortunately, my husband has taught my daughter that. Now she jumps out of the closet and enjoys scaring the daylights out of me. She thinks it’s the greatest thing ever and my husband seems to get a kick out of it too. Me. Not so much.  
What do you do for fun, besides writing?
We live near the gulf, so the beach is my fun! My favorite is family sunset night. We meet friends with some drinks and enjoy family, friends and fantastic sunsets!
Do you have any vices?
Starbucks’ Skinny Mocha CafĂ© – Vente, please! Yep, just hit repeat!
What was the last thing you googled?
Gourmet meals. I’m definitely not a cook (just ask my husband!), but Izzy is. So I was looking up something awesome for her to whip up for the “gang!”
If you could describe yourself in 5 words what would they be?
Silly, Trusting, Loving, Patient & Understanding.
What is your biggest pet peeve?
Mean people. I hate to sound clichĂ©, but mean people really do suck. Keep your hate to yourselves and let the rest of us enjoy life. 
Where was the last place someone spotted you and asked for an autograph?
Well, that hasn’t happened yet, but I can guarantee I’ll be jumping up and down hugging the heck out of that poor soul! 
Thank you so much for the interview! Is there anything else you would like your readers to know?
I want to let all of my readers know that I absolutely love their kind words about my writing. I have never been so humbled in my entire life as to when a reader contacts me out of the blue to let me know how much they enjoyed Izzy and Z’s story or asking questions about future books. I truly do love hearing from every last one of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment