Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Book Review: Manataka by Ella J. Phoenix

Manataka by Ella J. Phoenix 


216 Pages
Published February 16th 2013

Book Description:
Since she was a child, Chloe has endured horrible nightmares about a Native American prince living in a time long forgotten. She never understood why, until she finds a stone that matches the one in her dreams. It has unimaginable powers, powers Chloe doesn’t understand. Fueled by memories of someone else’s past, she sets off on a wild quest for the stone’s birth place, hoping to also find answers to her foreboding dreams. 

Our Review:

On the outside, Mason Green looks like a hard working, self-made millionaire, with too busy a life for romance. Very few people know the real reason for his self-imposed seclusion. It’s safer that way. But when a sexy historian shows him a supernatural stone from a forgotten tribe, Mason is intrigued - maybe the relic is the salvation he’s been waiting for. Ignoring the irrational attraction that threatens to crack the cask around his heart, Mason agrees to help Chloe. 

I appreciate the dedication to author's mother, husband and friend . It always interests me to whom authors dedicate their books and who inspire them ♥

Let me start off by saying Ella J Phoenix can put a feather in her hat!  Loved this book and I really enjoyed and appreciated was the glossary of terms which was used in the book it made the read so much more fun and informative so thank you Ella! !

Mason, has lets say, lived many lives, seen many things, visited many places so nothing is new to him.He lives a pretty solitary life, goes to work as an antiques dealer, gets  take out for dinner, goes home and listens to jazz :O His only "friend " is Malcolm Green, who happens to be his private investigator as well.

Mason's path crosses with Chloe, who works at the Smithsonian Institute,  a real nerdgirl with a binding stone,  an ancient Indian relic, which some believe to be just an urban legend and bam! He comes alive,  he  feels emotions long forgotten and his loins are awakened as well  ! He's so attracted to this plain nerdgirl and he's so protective ♥

Don't underestimate our reading lady though, she's no damsel in distress and can throw a punch!  She reminds me of Temperance Brennan from 'Bones' ! 

Both of them have secrets which adds to the legend of Manataka. Chloe had haunting dreams and Madonna had his "noo-hi" .Together they give Udall an entertain read filled with action, suspense, drama, romance, myth and legend! 

Manataka had me wondering what my "noo-hi" is, a noo-hi is your inner spirit, your animal spirit. The Indians have a rich culture filled with many traditions, myths and legends. I found myself yearning to be around the campfire listening to tales from the tribe members.

Thank you for a wonderful read,  looking forward to more of your work Ella J Phoenix! 

About Ella J Phoenix:
I discovered I was additcted to the paranormal when I was quite young - I blame it on the super heroes. Damn you, Wonder Woman! That passion led me to a number of amateur theatre productions in my home town, then ultimately to a bachelor’s degree in Performing Arts.
It wasn't very cool to spend five years working my ass off for no money. But, I have to say, it was then that I made my first attempts into the literary world. The first ones were writing children’s plays for my family’s language school. After a couple of blunders, I decided to translate Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream into a dancing and kicking play. It was so much fun that after that, let’s just say that I caught the bug.

Review by Heidi S.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Rene!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed the ride! The new edition of Manataka - called Raven's Awakening is completely free on AllRomanceeBooks! :) Nice, isn't? https://www.allromanceebooks.com/product-raven039sawakening-1350525-153.html

    ReplyDelete