Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Book Review: Bully ( Fall Away Series) by Penelope Douglas



Bully ( A Fall Away Series)
By Penelope Douglas
Published June 17th, 2013
Pages 290




 What would you do if your best friend turned in to a monster? No literally a monster, but someone you grew to hate, hide from....someone who you just do not recognize anymore? 

"His jaw clenched, and I noticed how how chin lifted slightly as if he had just put on his "bully" mask. I couldn't seen to catch my breath"



Tate and Jared were neighbors and at one point they were best friends until that one summer that changed their lives forever. Jared changed. He can back from visiting his father, and his mother found escape in a bottle. He made his main mission in life to completely humiliate her. Rumors, teasing and taunting  were just a few of the things that she had to endure during high school. Tate had the chance of a lifetime to study abroad for a whole year. A full year away from Jared, no more looking over her shoulder anymore. 

Jared indulged in my misery like it was candy. He had fed me to the wolves time and again, reveling in the unhappiness he caused. Jared, my friend, was completely gone, leaving a cold monster in his place.

Her year abroad is now over and she is back to finish her final year of high school. Something in her changed. She is now stronger, she will no longer be a meek timid girl! She is now ready to face her BULLY. 

"You're a coward. The only way you can feel like a man is to pick on me. But you're  going to have to get your kicks somewhere else now."


Through out this book you will fall in love with the characters. You will love Tates new found strength, you will hate Jared, then you will love him. This story is one emotional roller coaster but soooo worth it! Penelope Douglas knows how to write a great story!!

Taking a long breath, my eyes narrowed at him. "You've already made me cry countless times." I raised my middle finger to him slowly, and asked, "Do you know what this is?" I took my middle finger and patted the corner of my eye with it. "It's me, wiping away the last tear you'll ever get."

One night Tate discovers Madman (Jared's dog) whining and scratching at his front door. She went next door to see if anyone was home to let him into the house. The house was black and no one was home, she tried to door handle and to her surprise it was open. She opened the door and what she found was nothing less than shocking. 

Once my gave met his, it was impossible to look away. His eyes were like a cover of a book-giving you hints but not the whole story. And I wanted to know the story. If I searched his eyes long and hard enough, maybe what I craved would seep out.

Secrets are discovered. Tears are shed. But can years of hurt be forgotten? Read it to find out!!!





My name is Tate. He doesn't call me that, though.
He would never refer to me so informally, if he referred to me at all.



We're neighbors, and once, we were best friends. But then, one summer, he turned on me and has made it his mission to screw up my life at every opportunity. I've been humiliated, shut out, and gossiped about all through high school. His pranks and rumors got more sadistic as time wore on, and I made myself sick trying to hide from him. I worried about what was around every corner and behind every door. 


So I left.


I spent a year studying abroad and bathed in the freedom of life without Jared. Now I'm back to finish up high school and get the hell out of here forever. I'm hoping that after a year of breathing room, he's moved on and forgotten all about me. 


But even if he hasn't changed, I have. I'm not interested in avoiding him or turning the other cheek anymore. We're going to go head to head, because neither of us wants to back down.




"Yesterday lasts forever. Tomorrow never comes. Until you."

He was like an animal sinking his teeth into a juicy kill. One of his arms wrapped around me, while the other held my face. He guided our every moment. When he pushed, I surrendered.





Penelope Douglas is a writer and teacher in Las Vegas. Born in Dubuque, Iowa, she is the oldest of five children. Penelope attended the University of Northern Iowa, earning a Bachelor's degree in Public Administration, because her father told her to "just get the damn degree!" She then earned a Masters of Science in Education at Loyola University in New Orleans, because she HATED public administration. One night, she got tipsy and told the bouncer at the bar where she worked (yes, she was drunk at work)that his son was hot, and three years later she was married. To the son, not the bouncer. They have spawn, but just one. A daughter named Aydan. Penelope loves sweets, the show Sons of Anarchy, and she shops at Target almost daily.










Until You (A Fall Away Series 1.5)
By Penelope Douglas
Published December 4th 2013
Pages 368



Have you ever been so angry that hitting things felt good? Or so numb that you actually felt high? The past few years have been like that for me. Traveling between fury and indifference with no stops in between.


Some people hate me for it, while others are scared of me. But none of them can hurt me, because I don't care about anything or anyone.


Except Tatum.


I love her so much that I hate her. We used to be friends, but I found out that I couldn't trust her or anyone else.


So I hurt her. I pushed her away.


But I still need her. The sight of her centers me, and I can pool all of my anger into her. Engaging her, challenging her, bullying her...they are my food, my air, and the last part of me that feels anything human.


But she left. She went to France for a year, and came back a different girl.


Now, when I push, she pushes back.



Rival (A Fall Away Series #2)
By Penelope Douglas
To be Published August 2014



Madoc and Fallon. Two estranged teenagers playing games that push the boundaries between love and war…


She’s back.

For the three years she’s been away at boarding school, there was no word from her. Back when we lived in the same house, she used to cut me down during the day and then leave her door open for me at night.

I was stupid then, but now I’m ready to beat her at her own game…

I’m back.

Three years and I can tell he still wants me, even if he acts like he’s better than me.

But I won’t be scared away. Or pushed down. I’ll call his bluff and fight back. That’s what he wants, right? As long as I keep my guard up, he’ll never know how much he affects me….



Review by Rene

No comments:

Post a Comment